Gr. 8: Osmosis

Gr. 8: Osmosis

Hello grade 8, please watch the video below and then answer the questions at the bottom of the post in a google doc. Share your doc with me j.ray@theojcs.ca and have your answers with you when we meet during Monday’s live session. I hope everyone is doing well, and there is no baby update except that our bags are packed and ready at any point!

I realized that the screen went black on the last slide of the screencast. Here is the slide on Turgor Pressure to go along with the audio.

Before you answer the following questions, if you have not done so already, please create a folder in your google drive called ‘Science’ to put all of your docs/resources for Science in one spot and keep you organized.

Questions – share #1-5 with me

1. How are osmosis and diffusion different? How are they the same?
  2. What determines the direction of water movement into or out of cells?
  3. What prevents a plant cell from bursting when it is full water?
  4. Explain why animal cells are more likely than plant cells to burst when placed in distilled water (only H2O particles)?
  5. Describe turgor pressure in your own words.

Challenge questions (not mandatory, but you are encouraged to try and answer them!)

a) Based on what you have learned about osmosis, explain why grocery stores spray their vegetables with water?

b) You lose a solution of salt and water when you perspire. After extreme exertion on a very not day, a person who drinks only water to replace lost fluid may become ill. An examination of the person’s blood after drinking the water would reveal that many red blood cells have become swollen and that some have ruptured. Why would the red blood cells burst?