Below are the resources we went over in class when learning about the periodic table. Play around with the simulator at the bottom of the post if you want to learn more!
Some Key Concepts About Elements and their Atoms
- Atoms are made of extremely tiny particles called protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- Protons and neutrons are in the center of the atom, making up the nucleus.
- Electrons surround the nucleus.
- Protons have a positive charge.
- Electrons have a negative charge.
- The charge on the proton and electron are exactly the same size but opposite.
- Neutrons have no charge.
- Since opposite charges attract, protons and electrons attract each other.
How to Read a Box on the Periodic Table of Elements (google doc link)
Build an Atom Simulator student assignment (Due Wed. May 6th)