Teacher Bio – Mr. Ray

Teacher Bio – Mr. Ray

Hello everyone, my name is Joshua Ray and I am teaching grade 2-8 Health and Physical Education, and 6-8 Science here at the OJCS this year. I grew up just outside of Ottawa in a town 40 minutes west of Ottawa called Almonte. I feel extremely lucky and grateful to have a job where I get to work with young people and make a difference in their lives.

My Education

I attended both elementary and high school in Almonte, Ontario and then went on to Western University in London, and then Lakehead University receiving degrees in Kinesiology and Education.

My Interests/Hobbies

I have a passion for being active, and play many different sports. I love to be outdoors and enjoy camping, fishing, and hiking when I can. I am a big fan of the Ottawa Senators and still play hockey with my friends in my hometown. I enjoy puzzles, problem solving, finding out how things work, and games that involve strategy. I love all sorts of music, and am a bit of a techie, so you will definitely see all sorts of creativity and variety incorporated into our class.

My Teaching Philosophy

I want to do my absolute best to prepare students for high school and beyond. I believe it is important to focus on helping students develop problem solving skills that can be used inside and outside of the classroom.  The ‘struggle’, ‘journey’ or ‘digging’ for answers builds the resilience and mental strength necessary to be successful in life. Developing leadership skills, modelling a positive mindset, working hard, being kind to others and remaining humble along the way are traits that I try to instill in all of students.

Skip to toolbar